March 16 2021 – Lindsey Neill
After making three quilts entirely from Birch Fabrics Organic Lawn (AKA The Scandi Quilt Collection pictured above! The collection releases March 24th!), I wanted to share a few tips I've picked up for sewing with lawn fabric that will make for a more enjoyable lawn-sewing experience!
- Starch your fabric BEFORE you cut into it. I recommend using a heavier finish starch spray too. Check out my YouTube video on making your own starch spray HERE!
- Swap out your Universal needle for a Microtex needle.
- Use a fine/50wt thread. Aurifil is my preferred choice!
- Shorten your stitch length. For me I found 1.8 to be the perfect length.
- Lower the heat setting on your iron and don't use steam 🙅♀️🚫
- Avoid pressing seams open. My favorite part about sewing with lawn is how beautifully it presses. Trust me, if you typically press open, you won't mind exclusively pressing to the side instead 😍
- Not necessary, but you might want to lightly starch your block when it's finished.
- Last, but not least - Glue baste your seams! Check out my YouTube video al about Glue Basting HERE!
I hope these tips helped! Happy Sewing!